Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Yes, I actually told my daughter not to tell a lie

I may not be the first parent to tell his (and of course her) daughter never to lie. But plausibly I may be the first one to tell this even after realising that Truth is the most violent event.

I have had friends who were expert in lying on the spot. I have had foes who never pretended to be truthful but many times they were ruthlessly so. I have been forced or coaxed into lying, only to have been left alone to keep track of own lies.

I do not remember when I resolved not to lie , it may be 2 years back. I slowly learnt to enjoy the fun of being truthful. Thing is that you won’t need to undergo Norco test or sit on a lie-detector to find yourself lying. You don’t need to reinvent off-label use of relativity tablet .You know it.

Having mastered the fun of not lying, I further went ahead and suggested my daughter trying this fun. She agreed with same apprehensive & careful kindness with which she must have resolved to treat me. She began practising the art of not lying. It was not too difficult initially for her because probably she wasn’t aware that she was semi-truthful some times and those semi-truths went unnoticed. Sure enough dark atrocities of truth caught-up with her. Months passed by.

After several irritations and facing awkward situations she was almost on the verge of rejecting the morbidity of being truthful all the time. But a day came when she came out with flying colours only because she had opted not to lie.

Bingo! She was hooked. That incidence changed her ( I think). She wasn’t even aware of the trap. In fact it wasn’t even a trap. It was just a normal situation where a teen ager was expected to hide the truth to save the situation. She didn’t. Her peers & mentors appreciated. She has been since held in a silent semi-micro respect by all in her team.

You don’t need to ride in the Dharmaraj’s chariot when you have option of carrying your own little mirror. As a student of Gandhian thought , I am always fascinated by the guiding principles old man has laid down for us . Truth , non-violence and trusteeship are the most haunting and at times highly contradictory. In my opinion , you practise truth and offer yourself for violence. Owning truth is the purest form of violence. No I am not playing with words.

Try practising truth : for a week or two. Then come back & leave your comments on my blog. It ain’t simple putting your soul through roller coaster of facing consequences of calling spade a spade. Without sense of humour you can’t endure it. That creates fun.

I am sure my daughter will tell same thing to her daughter.

2 comments:

jpb said...

Me being an HR person as you know, how do you think I possibly could follow your piece of advice?

Dr. Abhijeet Safai said...

Practicing truth is painful indeed.
But does it nurtures once ego of being truthful?
Handling ego after being true is more difficult.